Monday, January 19, 2009

Two Castle Books

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones

I had seen the Miyazaki film adaption of the book before I even knew that the book existed. Of course they were different from each other, but they were also both very good. Although the book is complete by itself, I have learned that there are at least two more books featuring the same characters. Sophie, Howl, and Calcifer are definitely interesting enough to merit more of my time. (Sidenote: I'm not certain when the book was written, but I'm pretty sure that Howl was a forerunner of the metrosexual movement.)


I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith

I always wondered what it would be like to live in a castle, and I think the answer is that it would be cold. And dark. Especially if you're poor and have to use the British monetary system (which still makes no sense to me). But if you also happen to be seventeen and have a fierce need to improve your writing skills, then aren't you just so lucky. And so are your readers.

2 comments:

K Family said...

I love Dianne Wynne Jones. Her Chrestomanci series is a quick read, but delightful. Anyway, I'll read anything that she's written.

imemary said...

I'll let you know how the rest of the series is after I get around to it.
(P.S.- Since when do you have a blog?)