Thursday, December 30, 2010

Christmas reading

I'm reading some C. S. Lewis books that Matt got me for Christmas (yay Christmas books!) and they are NOT the Narnia books.  They're science fiction, about this philologist named Ransom who visits some other planets and whatnot.  Of course there is some God stuff in there, too, only He's called "Maleldil" or something.  I keep getting hung up on the "Mal-" prefix because it means "bad" in Latin and God is good, but "Beneldil" sounds like a drug.  Whatever; according to the books the solar language is not related to the Earth language anyway.  I'm halfway through the second book, and I have two thoughts.

1.  We know SO MUCH about space these days.  I'm pretty sure that I take most of my knowledge for granted.  The Earth does NOT look anything like the moon.  Space is cold.  Making your spaceship spherical does not mean that it will have gravity.  Being in space for a month without exercising (because it uses up all the air) would probably give you the bones of a 90 year old woman.

2.  In most Christian denominations, Eve gets such a bad rap.  Yeah, she ate the fruit and got kicked out of the garden, but if she hadn't nobody else would be here.  She fulfilled an important part of Heavenly Father's plan to get folks into some bodies; she did NOT screw us out of paradise.  She deserves more credit.

These two thoughts may seem unrelated, but I don't care.  Anyway, the books are fun so far.  The devil is them, too!  What a creeper.

No comments: