Wednesday, April 27, 2011

If cake were a person we'd be BFFs.

I am becoming quite the domestic lady.  I have baked cupcakes for the second week in a row.  Woo!

Now, to be fair, the first time I made them things didn't turn out quite the way I had planned.  The cake part tasted great (from scratch, baby!), but the frosting part left something to be desired.  It was a colorful, grainy goo that oozed its way off the cupcake until it had hardened enough to stay put.  Still tasty, but definitely not pretty.  And somehow I ended up with at least twice the amount I needed.  I saved it because um...that's what I do with food, but it's not like it was desirable the first time around so WHO KNOWS how long it will be just hanging out in my fridge, getting harder and harder and grainier and grainer.

Izzy didn't care.  Cupcakes are cupcakes.


Today, however, I had success.  I used the same cupcake recipe but tweaked the frosting a bit.  (Or maybe I just did a better job of following the instructions?  Pretend like that's not it.)  I used a pastry bag to frost the cupcakes, but it looked like pastel blue dog poop so I scraped it off and tried again.  This is what I ended up with:

(Makes me think of the circus.)

The pictures are blurry because my tiny helper likes to poke the lens.  And no, this isn't some weird perspective shot distorting the cupcake sizes.  That is one regular cupcake surrounded by midgets.  Sweet, delicious midgets.

No comments: