Monday, March 29, 2010

Two for the price of one!

Easter's coming up soon and I'm excited.  I'm always excited for holidays that involve candy, but Easter's got the added bonus of eggs.  Eggs for Jesus!

Easter's one of those pagan holidays that got all Christianized in a weird sort of way.  As far as I'm concerned it's two separate holidays that just happen to have the same name and fall on the same day (the first Sunday following the full moon that occurs on or following the spring equinox except after "c" and when sounding as "a" like in "neighbor" or "weigh"...wait...). 

I celebrate them both heartily.  Do I believe that Jesus Christ was resurrected after three days and that this is a reason to have a feast including but not limited to ham and deviled eggs? I DO!  Do I believe that rabbits are extremely fertile and that eggs, when properly fertilized and incubated, will hatch into probably chickens but also possibly alligators and the uncertainty of which is a good reason to hide them while eating candy?  I ALSO BELIEVE THIS!

It is wonderful to have so many beliefs.

2 comments:

Little Messy Missy said...

Amen!

Michelle said...

Okay so I attended a primary Easter activity this weekend and was frustrated at the joining of these two holidays. The kids really just wanted to go find little plastic eggs with candy. BUT the ambitious primary presidency did a scavenger hunt in which groups of children had to go find several clues which ended in finding two plastic eggs which contained scriptures and little representations of the Savior's life. Those poor kids were soooo confused. They thought they were only getting those eggs and no candy. Moral of the story...do not mix the holidays...hee hee. EGGS FOR JESUS! :)