Saturday, March 5, 2011

Saturday Sweat Log: The Gimpy Edition

Not a bad week, not bad, bad; I did almost 9 miles (watch those numbers climb!)  and only got lost once.  That was on Wednesday, when I decided to try a new route around the golf course.  Needless to say, this was the day I ran the furthest.

I ended up in a maze of streets and had many doubts about my path when I began to encounter gates across the road.  I paused at one in order to consult the map on my phone, and as soon as a car came to activate the gate, an Asian dude slipped through the quickly closing opening.  I decided that I, too, wanted to be on the other side, and followed him through in an Indiana Jones fashion.  For the rest of the run (at least another mile) this guy and I ran apace on opposite sides of the street.  I am fairly certain he was wearing black jeans and other such casual street clothes.  Maybe he had to be somewhere and his car was broken...?  I don't know.

It has been a fairly damp week.  Once, I stepped on something squishy in my barefoot running shoes.  I hope it was a sodden piece of wood and not one of the many snails that have been out enjoying the weather.

On Friday I definitely stepped on a pine cone, but I wish it had been a snail.  I stumbled a bit and tweaked my ankle, but it didn't start hurting until I finished up and got back to the house.  Apparently running and walking are entirely different actions.  I have been walking like a pirate ever since, a pirate with a brand new peg leg.  Aarrgh!

September 19 is International Talk Like a Pirate Day, so there is plenty of precedence to make today (March 5) Walk Like a Pirate Day.  I encourage you to participate.

1 comment:

C Stevens said...

I am so impressed with your dedication. I have 2 pinched nerves in my back from the weight of the prego belly...I walk like a pirate with 2 wooden legs.